Monday, September 14, 2009

Sanity Saver

Today's Sanity Saver is a quote I saw on a church sign while on my way to work.

"The worst moment is when you are in the middle of an arguement and you suddenly realize you are wrong."

At first glance this made me laugh, then I stopped to think about it and its very true. That feeling when you are so sure you are right and you get into such a heated arguement with someone over that topic, only to realize half way through that you are wrong is just awful. Especially when you have to admit to the other person that they were right.

So next time you get into such an arguement take the time to make sure that you really are right so you can avoid this feeling.

3 comments:

  1. I'd qualify that as a modesty-maker as well.

    The best way to step out of a predicament like that is gracefully, by admitting that you can be wrong.

    "Once we realize that imperfect understanding is the human condition, there is no shame in being wrong, only in failing to correct our mistakes." -George Soros

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've noticed that Winnipeg churches seem to offer more food for thought through outdoor signage than churches in other cities I've lived in (that is to say, I've rarely noticed this in Ottawa and Montreal, but see it here all the time). One that stuck with me was from down on Portage Ave. a few years ago, and went something like this:

    "Come work for me. The hours are long, the pay is low, and the work is sometimes thankless... but the retirement benefits are out of this world!

    - God"

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a pretty awful feeling. Worst is when you're really stubborn and try to continue the argument even though you know you're wrong. Not that that is a good thing to do, it's best to swallow your pride and admit that you are wrong.

    ReplyDelete