Thursday, September 24, 2009

My Sanctuary

I have travelled every summer since I can remember. My family has been all across the United States, most of Canada, a little bit of Mexico and I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to travel to Europe. Every year we pack up and go, trying to jam in as much as humanly possible, often causing us to drive all through the night to reach our destination. Although I love these trips, they are filled with fun, adventure and learning, they are far from relaxing. It wasn’t until I met my boyfriend, Dave that I actually discovered first-hand what a relaxing vacation really was.



My First Relaxing Vacation


Dave and I had been together for about six months and we decided it was time for me to go visit his family and see where he grew up. This adventure was taking me to the small town of Roblin, Manitoba. If you have no idea where this is, its about four and a half hours north of Winnipeg, between Asessippi Ski Hill and Yorkton, Sask. Don’t feel too bad, I had no idea this place even existed until then.


Now I just want to take a moment to mention that I do realize that meeting your boyfriend’s family doesn’t sound very relaxing. The meeting the family part, I will admit was not relaxing at all, in fact it was nothing short of terrifying. But once you see the farm you have no choice but to be relaxed. It is pretty much like magic.



But anyway, back to my story. For me, a self-proclaimed city princess, the middle of nowhere didn’t exactly seem like my cup of tea. In fact I was actually smart enough to wear flip-flops and a skirt to the farm. I quickly learned that jeans and runners were a requirement not a suggestion. On the drive out to the middle of nowhere I couldn’t help but wonder what could posses people to live out here, so far from my kind of civilization. Then I finally saw it, Dave took me to the scenic field.


The scenic field is by far the most beautiful place I have ever, and maybe will ever see. I found myself lost looking into the distance, surrounded by nature, the sky glittering with stars. I could suddenly understand the magic, the draw. I knew now why so many of Dave’s stories center around this field. This was something one can never experience in a city; the city doesn’t have this kind of magic. This place gives you the most incredible feelings of hope, joy, inspiration and love. Sitting next to Dave in the tall grass, I felt so free and I was finally able to understand why people settled here, why they wanted to start building their lives here.


This is the moment, the feelings I relive when I am so stressed and the world feels like its falling down around me. This moment in time, just me and Dave, sitting without a care in the world reminds me that there are more important things in this world and happiness is possible, not just possible; real. It helps me to realize that whatever I’m stressing over is simply minor and that gives me the strength to move through it. This moment is my true sanity saver; it is my sanctuary.

1 comment: