Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Nobody Puts Baby in a Corner


Today I write my blog with a heavy heart, as I am sure most of you already know Patrick Swayze died on Monday after his battle with pancreatic cancer. His career not only took on movies but also musicals. He was in a number of movies over his career but I believe his most well known works were Ghost and Dirty Dancing. He was nominated for three Golden Globes but never won one. He kept busy until his last days working on a memoir with his wife, Lisa Niemi, whom he married in 1975.

Ghost is one of the most emotional movies I have seen. I've watched it countless times and still cry everytime. I think the song on the soundtrack, "Unchained Melody" by The Righteous Brothers, fits the movie perfectly. It also adds even more emotional value and speaks right to your heart. This song is on my iPod and I listen to it when I need a break from life and especially when I need to believe in love again.



Dirty Dancing was my first introduction to Patrick Swayze and left me with a huge school girl crush on the man. When I am having a bad day this movie is the one I'm most likely to pop in my DVD player. It has the ability to make me smile everytime, not to mention get out of my seat and start dancing along. My favorite part of the movie is right at the end when Swayze delivers his famous line "Nobody puts Baby in a corner" and then they go on to prove their love to the world through their final dance. A few years back I was sleeping over at my friend Megan's house and we stayed up all night trying to learn this dance. Suprisingly I still remember most of it. Dirty Dancing has saved my sanity many, many times.



Thank you Patrick Swayze for being my sanity saver over the years. My thoughts go out to your family and those who were close to you. Rest in Peace. You will always be remembered.

2 comments:

  1. Amen.

    I went (I believe in 2007) to see the brief re-screening of Dirty Dancing with a friend who's always been "crazy for Swayze" and I couldn't believe how many women were there laughing and saying lines along with the movie. The majority of them were my mother's age, and it was a surprisingly unifying experience. The movies he made had such a huge impact on so many people...

    I'd love to know what really attracted you to Swayze in the first place; I understand a lot of his allure, but what was it that made fans stick with him from movie to movie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that Patrick Swayze had that "quality." The good guy/bad guy combo that so many women fall in love with. On top of that, he was very attractive, and could dance like nobodys business!

    Whenever I need a really good cry, I watch "Ghost." I think that the combination of Swayze and Whoopi Goldberg was perfect, and I can't believe she won an oscar for her performance. On the flip side, whenever I need a feel-good movie, "Dirty Dancing" is a good one.

    I think that Swayze was a great individual. I was listening to a live interview on the radio when he was first diagnosed with cancer. He basically said that he is going to live the rest of his life as he wants, and told the people who were wasting their time talking about "saving him" to give it up. He said that life is life, and even if you are dealt crappy cards, you have to live your life anyways. I think that is a very powerful point, and I totally agree.

    Awesome post, Sam. I love your videos!

    ReplyDelete