Friday, October 23, 2009

Trick-or-Treat

So Halloween is quickly approaching and I decided that with barely a week left it was time to finally figure out what Halloween costume I would be sporting this Halloween. Now I know it sounds silly but after just one year I had forgotten how much I hate buying a Halloween costume.

Reason #1: The Price

Buying a pre-made Halloween costume costs the most ridiculous amount of money, anywhere between $20 and $90, plus then you have to buy the accessories to go with the costume. In the picture the girl is all dressed up in all the items you need to make your costume perfect, but when you are actually holding the costume you quickly realize that everything but that little dress is sold separately. You almost need to take out a loan to buy this costume that you are only going to wear once, and only for a few hours at that.

Reason #2: The Line

Now this one is probably completely my fault. If I was smart I would either go during the day or earlier when the Halloween costumes first came out but I am a master procrastinator so this will never happen. Sadly it seems most of Winnipeg is like me and less then a week before Halloween we climb into our cars and drive out to the costume store. Party Stuff on Regent is my favorite; I go there every year, along with half the city... We go and look at those really small pictures on the wall then stand in line to tell that poor, underpaid worker what number and size we want, praying they still have it left. Then wait what seems like hours (actually only about 10 minutes) for then to find it in the back. Then you go up and down the crowded aisles to find all the necessary and the unnecessary-but-can't-live-without accessories to make our costume better then last year. We then look for the end of the cashier line, which wraps around the whole store... twice, cursing all these people for shopping the same day as you. No need to feel bad about this, they are all cursing you as well. After spending half your life in line you finally get out of the store, only to have to wait in line to leave the parking lot. It is at this point every year you tell yourself, Sam next year you will go early. And you believe it for about 5 minutes.

Reason #3: How Small Are These Costumes

Ok ladies, I have some news for you. You know who you are. Just because it is Halloween does not qualify as a good enough reason to wear a shirt for a dress or a top that shows everything from across the room. I know, I know that is pretty much all they sell these days. Maybe if you just look a little harder.... And to you people designing the costumes. Please, please use a little more fabric. For the prices you charge you can add a little more.

Now don't get me wrong. Really I love Halloween. It is one of my favorites, I mean free candy and getting to be whatever you want for a day, what's not to love. But costumes.... oh costumes.... you make me broke....

Happy Halloween Everyone!

3 comments:

  1. You may never be able to beat the lineups, but the crowds are part of what keeps you alive and sane.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm proud to say that my Halloween costs consisted of one beer, one cup of tea, someone else's candy, and a movie rental...

    Either i'm getting old, and boring, or i've totally figured out how to save money...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is how I should do halloween!Free candy should be the basis of the night!

    ReplyDelete