Friday, October 16, 2009

This Thanksgiving I was thankful for....

This past weekend was one of my favourite weekends of the year. Thanksgiving weekend! I consider any reason to get together with friends and family and eat a HUGE amount of food, especially when its turkey, is a great thing. This year I was in charge of making dessert, so I decided, seeing as it’s Thanksgiving and all, to make some pies. Now I hate pumpkin pie, therefore I refused to make it. So after a long deliberation on yummy and not so yummy pies I decided on apple pie and lemon-meringue pie.

So my mom and me headed out to the grocery store to battle it out with the other shoppers for Thanksgiving Day cuisine. We managed to find everything and were so excited to get out of the busy Sobeys, both vowing to shop early but both knowing that was never going to happen. We finally made it home both alive only to find that we forgot to get the pie crust.

Now how in the world am I supposed to make my yummy pies with out the crust? I couldn’t come up with a way either; so back off to the store I went. Lucky for me I live only about two minutes from an Extra Foods, so there I headed… alone… I had no idea of what was about to happen…

So I’m walking in Extra Foods and all the way in the back corner is where they keep the pie crusts. I’m trying to make my way through the endless carts, hoping to make it out alive. Then I see it. The heavens open up and the angels start singing, it is the last box of pie crusts. The very last one.

I very happily open the freezer and grab the box, shamelessly doing my “I-got-the-last-pie-crusts” dance, and turn around to head for the checkout. This is the part where it starts getting messy. This old lady stops me and says, “I need those pie crusts”.

Now I’m thinking what in the world is this lady talking about. I must have had some weird look on my face as if I didn’t understand her so she repeated her previous comment as she grabs for the box I’m holding in my hands.

Now I’m standing in the aisle, pulling on one end of the box while the old lady is pulling on the other end.

“ I’m sorry but this is my box,” I said politely.

“But I need them”

“But these ones are mine”

“ There are no more”

“But I have this box, go find some somewhere else.”

“I want these ones”

At this point I am getting angry, and a little surprised at the grip this old lady has. But I manage to get the box out of her hand, almost falling to the ground, and book it to the check out with the old lady yelling stuff at me.

I walk home, pie crusts in hand, in total shock that I just had to fight and old lady for pie. But I will say those pies were pretty tasty! This Thanksgiving I was thankful for pie!

No comments:

Post a Comment