Tuesday, April 6, 2010

We Were in Love - Part 1

For our Creative Writing class we had to write a screenplay. I totally fell in love with my characters so I thought I'd share the screenplay with all of you. I think it is something everyone can relate to in one form or another. So here is the first part. Enjoy! Just for reference V.O. stands for voice over.

FADE IN:

INT. STACEY’S CAR - NIGHT

STACEY, 21, is driving through the Winnipeg streets. The only lights are the headlights from the car and the red stoplight in front of her. It is raining outside, which is matched by the tears running down her face. The stoplight is reflecting in her eyes. Inside the car is soft country music playing.

STACEY(V.O)
We were in love. The perfect romance novel, happily ever after kind of love. He was my prince, we fit.
(pause)
We just fit. We never made any sense, that I knew. He was from the small town and I was from the big city. We had come from two different worlds, but somehow we fit. We were in love. Our relationship was a passionate roller coaster, great days followed by big fights, followed by even bigger make-ups. The sex was great... no it was better than great.
(pause)
And it proved we were in love.
(long pause followed by a sigh)
We were in love....
until her.

Music gets louder as the light turns green and the car drives away.

INT. STACEY’S BEDROOM – NIGHT

STACEY is lying in bed. Her digital clock radio casts a little bit of light in the room with the numbers 3:00 glowing red. Her cell phone is charging on her bedside table. The Phone rings. STACEY’S hand reaches out from under the covers, grabs the phone and without opening her eyes answers it.

(PHONE CONVERSATION)

STEVEN
Hey Babe.

STACEY
(still sleepy)
Hey you! How are you doing? Did you win your hockey game? Wait... What are you doing up so late?

STEVEN
I’m fantastic Stace.... I have something I need to tell you.
STACEY sits up in bed and leans against the wall looking worried.

STACEY
Is everything ok? You alright?

STEVEN
I’m fine. Everything is great... well for me anyway.

STACEY
Ok... well then... what’s up baby?

STEVEN
I met someone else.
(long pause)
And she’s awesome. She’s beautiful and sexy and she wants me to be with my friends and play hockey. She’s just amazing. She’s the one I want. Her, not you.

There is a long pause where nobody says anything.

STACEY
I.... umm.... what?

STEVEN
My phone’s about to die, and when it does I never want to hear from you again. Goodbye Stacey.
STACEY stares at the phone in shock, a single tear falls down her face.

INT. STEVEN’S LIVING ROOM – NIGHT

STEVEN, 21 and VICKY, 19 are cuddling on the couch while STEVEN puts his cell phone on the glass table. The clock above their heads reads 3:10.

VICKY
How’d she take it sweetie?

STEVEN
Oh like you really care babe.

VICKY
I might..

STEVEN grabs VICKY and pulls her close. VICKY gasps as she is caught by surprise and they kiss passionately. She grabs his hands and moves them onto her body.

VICKY
I’ll show you the way.

VICKY moves STEVEN’S hands to her shirt and helps him unbutton it. They move in for another passionate kiss.

INT. STACEY’S CAR – DAY

STACEY and PAUL, 22 are driving down the streets of Winnipeg. The sun is bright and shining and the tress are blooming. Inside the car an upbeat pop song is playing.

STACEY (V.O)
After months of crying and attempting to convince myself I was over Steven, that I was better than that and I didn’t need him in my life I thought I had finally accomplished it. He finally couldn’t hurt me anymore. I found myself happy and spending a wonderful afternoon with Paul. Paul was nice, a real good guy, he was safe and I really did like him... but for some reason that day I couldn’t stop thinking about Steven.

PAUL
You ok Stace?

STACEY
Fine. Why?

PAUL
You just seem a little off today. You’re really quiet, just not usual bubbly self.

STACEY
Sorry hun. I just have a lot on my mind, no biggie. I’m all good.

STACEY (V.O.)
But it was a big deal. Everywhere I was I thought of him, of all the fun, of all the good times... and now he was having them with her. Just when I thought he couldn’t hurt me anymore it felt like he was ripping my heart to pieces.

Stay tuned for part 2!

2 comments: